How do I get started using RubyWantAds.com?
RubyWantAds.com is meant to be very user-friendly. We hope you think so too!
Register for RubyWantAds.com:
- Sellers do need to register for a free account.
- If you don’t already have a User Account, please Register.
- Your contact info won’t show on your ad, but we need to know you’re a real person who is local to the Northern Nevada region. The info you write in your ad’s description is up to you. More info makes it easier to sell your item.
- From My Account, you can Register, edit your ads, change your password, see ads you marked as Favorites, and update your contact info.
Will my address be visible in the ad?
No. We ask for your city and state to establish your account and to know that you are a real person, but your actual address will not be shown on your ad listings. You can choose to include that information in your ad if you prefer. You can even choose to only show a username instead of your real name.
RubyWantAds.com is always concerned for your safety and encourages you to meet potential buyers in public places and avoid inviting them to your home if possible.
How to Post an Ad:
- Choose your Ad Type: Buy, Sell, Rent/Lease, Lost/Found, Job or Event
- Choose your Category
- Within each Category, we have sub-Categories to help you and your Buyer find each other. You can only choose one category per ad. Additional categories will need you to post additional ads.
- Set your Ad Title
- Provide a Description
- In certain Categories like Real Estate, Cars and Events, we have added specialized fields for details about your item that will help Buyers find you with our expanded search functions. We encourage you to use those.
- Add images. Items with images sell better than those without images. For more ideas about images, see our post on Using Images to Sell Your Items Faster.
- Submit your Ad! You will be taken to the “My Listings” page. Click on “See My Ad” button to see it on the site. It should be online immediately.
My images won’t load:
Newer phones and digital cameras take photos that are very large in terms of file ‘weight’ and also in pixel width/height. We have a 5MB file size limit and recommend images not upload if they are larger than 1000px by 1000px.
Occasionally, if your internet connection is good, then you can still get those larger files up, but not always, and that inconsistency will be frustrating. Better to work from the right image sizes and get them loaded each time.
Issue #1: Large File ‘Weight’:
If your image is larger than 5MB, the site will give you an error. This is to make sure we have enough room on our server for everyone. Here are two suggestions that might help you:
- TinyPNG.com is a free service that will quickly reduce the file size of your photos. Upload your photo on their site where it says “Drag and Drop Your Photo” and it will compress it for you. Then, download that zip file to your desktop or phone, and then extract that photo. Upload the new, smaller image to RubyWantAds.com.
- Look at your camera settings to see if you can revise them to take slightly smaller photos. Fewer pixels means there is not as much data to upload to the site.
- In phones, it should be in your Camera >Settings. Check that your picture size is under about 4000 pixels x 2500 pixels or smaller.
- In cameras like Coolpix, it should be in your Settings or Output.
Issue #2: Large Width or Height:
Many modern cameras in phones take images that are well over 4000 pixels wide or tall. The site is designed to showcase images that are around 800-1000 pixels wide. If your image is really oversized, then it will not show well in the category page preview, and it will zoom and an out oddly in the ad page.
See the example of how oversized images don’t fit well in the preview. Users have to guess at the upper and lower portions of the image because the site starts from the center of the image and has to cut off a lot to make it fit in the square layout. –>
The best orientation for images on this site is horizontal. Extra tall images will have to scroll up and down to see the whole image. See the example of an image that is high resolution and looks good but started out too tall to fit in the framework.
If this user posted a smaller image, or turned the phone sideways (horizontal), it would not scroll so much to show the whole image. She’s such a sweet doggo, you’d want everyone to see all of her at once. –>
Trying to upload big images might generate an error, especially if your internet connection is a little unstable.
Reduce your image either with the image editor in your phone, with editing software on your computer like Photo or Photoshop, or with a free online tool like ReduceImages.com. Upload your image to that site, set the size parameters like 1000px by 600px, and it will give you back a smaller image that should load up easy-peasy. Note, we have no relationship with these sites and they could move or change at anytime without notice. If you cannot find these sites, search for “image reduction tool” and use that service.
Buyers don’t need to register for an account. The site and its listings and articles are public. You are welcome to Register if you choose.
What is the cost to register on this site?
Nothing. There are no registration fees for buyers or sellers.
We do have opportunities for Advertisers to sponsor certain categories. Please contact us directly about promoting your business on Northeastern Nevada’s only regional classifieds website: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is this site secure?
Yes. Your transactions are protected by the latest encryption technology. If you feel we have an issue, please Contact Us.
How do I find what I’m looking for?
You have several options for searching RubyWantAds.com:
- Do a quick search from the home page or the search bar on the top of the site with the important words about the item you’re looking for.
- For example, enter “Toyota” or “Truck.” That should give you back results for items with Toyota in the ad title or description, as well as items in the Cars & Trucks category because Toyota is one of the makers in our Cars & Trucks category.
- We’ve added a Search bar to the top of every page so it should be easier to search where ever you are on the site.
- Browse the categories from the View All Ads in the top menu bar.
- Filters are available along the left column to reduce the number of items that come up in your search results so you can find your item more quickly.
Can I save items to revisit later?
Yes. Each listing on our site has an “Add to Favorites” link. Simply click that link with the little heart to add that item to your Favorites list.
You can maintain your “Favorites” list within the My Account page.
What if I can’t find what I’m looking for?
You can set up search filters within your account area. Our site will then screen all new listings, as they are placed on the site, and if an item is listed that meets your filter (search) criteria, we will automatically send you an email notification.
How do buyers and sellers communicate with each other?
RubyWantAds.com provides buyers with the ability to contact the seller through a form that is accessible on each of the seller’s listing pages. The seller will then be notified by email of the buyer’s questions and the seller can either reply by email or log in to their account and reply through our onsite messaging system. The seller can choose to keep their email address anonymous.
If you still can’t find the answer to your question or suggestions for other items, please Contact Us